2016 Pennsylvania’s Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program Homeless Advocates
The following individuals were highlighted at the 2016 ECYEH Conference for their contributions to the program and the students they serve:
- Region 1 – Deborah Moore, Secretary and Assistant to Deputy Chief, Office of Student Enrollment and Placement, School District of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
- Region 2 – Sandra Ramos, Registrar, Kennett Consolidated School District, Kennett Square, PA
- Region 3 – Jill Platts, Coordinator of Social Services/District Attendance Officer, Southern York County School District, Glen Rock, PA
- Region 4 – Jeff Sigado, Social Worker, Brownsville Area School District, Brownsville High School, Brownsville, PA
- Region 5 – John Seybert, Director of Special Education, Farrell Area School District, Farrell, PA
- Region 6 – Craig Mlaker, President, Mlaker Transportation, Davidsville, PA
- Region 7 – Bernadette Sedor, Federal Programs Coordinator, Hazleton Area School District, Hazle Township, PA
- Region 8– Charles James, School Social Worker and Homeless Liaison, Centennial School District, Warminster, PA
Full Nomination Descriptions
Webinar Recording: The Every Student Succeeds Act: Local Liaison Responsibilities
During this webinar, Storm Camara, ECYEH State Coordinator of the
Pennsylvania Department of Education, reviewed and reinforced the
responsibilities and best practice expectations of school district and
local education agency homeless liaisons, per the McKinney-Vento
Homeless Assistance Act as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act,
effective October 1, 2016. Recording and Presentation Slides
State Plan of the Pennsylvania’s Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program
The state plan, that describes the important work of ensuring full implementation of the McKinney-Vento Act to support the education of our students experiencing homelessness, has been updated.
Education for Homeless Youth Basic Education Circular (BEC)
The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) Pennsylvania Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program BEC 42 U.S.C.A. 11431 et seq., was issued February 3, 2010 and reviewed September 1, 2011. For more information about PDE's Pennsylvania Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program, please contact Storm Camara, State Coordinator at (717) 772-2206.
Statewide Directory for Pennsylvania School Liaisons for Homeless Students and Statewide Shelter Directory – Locate Your District's Homeless Liaison and/or Find a Shelter in Pa.
The Statewide Directory for Pennsylvania School Liaisons for Homeless Students and Statewide Shelter Directory are available online and provide access for you as well as the general public to current liaison and shelter contact information.
Resource to Ensure Appropriate Services for Students Experiencing Homelessness
The Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare maintains a list of education liaisons that are available in your county to help coordinate services and ensure an appropriate education for homeless students.