Every school district must have a homeless liaison who is in charge of ensuring students who are experiencing homelessness can enroll and succeed in school. This person, identified by each Local Education Agency, supports and helps students in homeless situations.
The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 outlines specific responsibilities of this individual. The homeless liaison must:
- Make sure students enroll in school immediately, even if they do not have the papers they would normally need for enrollment.
- Help families and youth get immunizations, immunization records or other medical records, if a student needs them.
- Tell parents and youth about all transportation services and help set up transportation.
- Make sure students get all the school services they need.
- Tell parents and guardians about all the programs and services the school has available for their children.
Search the online Homeless Liaison Directory to find your district’s liaison.