Education for Homeless Youth
42 U.S.C. § 11431 et seq.
This Basic Education Circular (BEC) explains the categories of children who are “homeless” and entitled to the protections of the federal law.
Download the Education for Homeless Youth BEC (PDF) from the PDE website.
Admission to Kindergarten and Beginners – Acceptable Evidence of Pupil Age for School Admission
24 P.S. § 5-503
- Birth certificate is NOT the only acceptable proof of age
- A birth certificate is not mandated by law as a requirement for school admission
- Other options include baptismal certificate, transcript of record of baptism, notarized parent statement or transcript of birth
Download the Admission to Kindergarten and Beginners BEC (PDF) from the PDE website.
Enrollment of Students – Students Living With a Resident Adult other than a Parent
24 P.S. § 13-1302
- District must support the child gratis
- Child is entitled to all free school privileges
- District may require affidavit from adult (optional)
- Affidavit is the only permissible school district requirement
Download the Enrollment of Students BEC (PDF) from the PDE website.
School Immunization Requirements
24 P.S. § 13-1303a
- Schools can admit students with at least one each of six prescribed antigens
- Students have up to eight months to complete remaining doses
Download the School Immunization Requirements BEC (PDF) from the PDE website.
Student Records Being Retained by a Private School
22 Pa. Code §12.31
- Discussions concerning domestic violence issues
- Request for student record information can be delayed up to 45 days
- PDE urges use of Written Request for Access
- Never give student enrollment/record information over the phone
Download the Student Records Being Retained by a Private School BEC (PDF) from the PDE website.
For more information about PDE’s Pennsylvania Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness Program, contact Storm Camara, State Coordinator via phone at (717) 772-2066.